Friday, November 29, 2013

No More Rubber Ducky for Me

I used to fit in the bathtub,
Bubbles, bath toys, and ducky.
Mom used Johnson's baby soap to scrub
My tiny body. As a child, I was so lucky.

I grew too tall and big for that,
So now I simply shower.
Not nearly as inviting, in fact,
I daresay it has nary any soothing power.

At one time I could be a mermaid!
To a child, a bathtub is like a pool!
As a teenager, I'll sit in the warm water, memories re-made.
Some parts of me warm, some parts of me cold and cool.

But just for kicks and giggles sometimes, even if it's a short while,
I'll fit myself into that bathtub, turn the water on, and smile.

1 comment:

  1. This is so adorable and well-written. I totally feel you on a spiritual level. It's kind of sad how when I was a kid, I'd take baths because they were fun and I could splash around, but now it's just to relieve stress and attempt to relax. You also capture the whole essence of being an innocent child and not realizing how lucky we were to have such chill lives. Nice job. (◡‿◡✿)

    ReplyDelete